Sunday, February 17, 2013

a wonderful gift.....

Dear Chloe,

When thinking of a way to appropriately honor your one year cancer anniversary...I was stumped for a minute.  Oh, that day one year ago that took. my. breath. away.  It is hard to think of something really good to do for a day that was really, really bad.  Should we throw a party for cancer, have a parade, or just let the day pass and pretend it's not there?  I have no idea but I eventually did come up with something.

In keeping with this month's blood themed gifts to you, I dusted off my donor card and donated a unit of blood at Life Source in honor of my favorite girl who has lived so awesomely and gracefully with cancer for 1 year.  I got around to thinking that this time last year, before anyone found out that you had cancer, there were strangers who put their arms out and gave their blood so it was waiting in the hospital for you when you really needed it.  I am so grateful for them and their amazing gift to you!

It has given me so much joy!  So much laughter and girly screams in the back of my minivan, tea parties, potty parties, singing, dancing, musicals, smiles, hugs, kisses, t-ball fun and how could we forget all of the awesome powers that blood gave you???

So, it is a teeny tiny gift for the day a year ago when you started handing your own blood over and over to the nurses and doctors so courageously.  (I think you have given a lifetime of blood this year sweet girl!)  With your awesomeness and inspirational powers you have inspired me to donate and therefore have saved 3 lives!  The people at Life Source gave me a red bracelet to give you.  I have also included Max and Ellie's favorite book about donating blood and most importantly the donor card with the unit # on it.  (Just in case anyone needs some O plus at clinic and they start acting a little crazy after....you can check their unit and reassure them that the crazy will eventually wear off :))

Love you,

Miss Katie
xoxoxo

                                         Ellie and Chloe one year ago.......right after diagnosis.

No comments: