Friday, October 5, 2012

road less traveled

"It is better to travel well then to arrive."
~Buddha
I am not really sure what that means but my Mom assures me it means something good.  So, onto the next roadstop on my roadmap, which is…..Maintenance!  This is sort of the time in treatment that most all leukemia patients look forward to for lots of reasons.  I will give you a few.  Clinic visits are fewer and farther between (every two weeks) and I only get chemo at clinic one of those times so that means only once a month.  Vincristine is the drug of choice for most of my time on maintenance and that has been a decent chemo drug for me (not many side effects).  The other time is a quick visit just to check blood counts and have the doc tell me I look good.  Most leukemia patients feel pretty darn good on maintenance and their hair starts coming back.  That is kind of cool.  I will take chemo pills at home every day (my Mom isn't too thrilled about that) and I will also have spinal taps every three months (instead of every month).
Dr. Salvi changed my roadmap a bit, though, and moved up my start of maintenance to October 18th.  That is a week earlier than we had thought.  Maybe it was because my ANC was over 2000 when I had my chemo yesterday!  That was a shocker but kind of a good one.
See you on the next stop…...
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

SueandHannah said...

Super Chloe: Yea!! on making it to 'this stop' of your journey - and we are so excited to hear that you are getting a bit of a break, too! Hold on tight...

Grandpa said...

Yellow rocks and so do you. Fred and Felix say hi. Glad you have reached that level called maintenance. All I can say is "Oh,Oh Pasghettio" and send you lots of love and kisses.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooooooo

Sydney Reiter said...

Great news Chloe my friend -- you are on your way!
Lots of love,
Sydney

Jane Ruge said...

Blessed wonderful news:)
--Jake's theme song is "The Fighter" by Gym Class Hero's. I think you can share it with him:)